Sunday 10 July 2011

Craig Smith by Jo Ryan

Sunday. Astonishing. The ballroom almost full at 8:47am when I sidle in. I feel a weight lifted from my over-stuffed head to be in such company.


Craig, charming, satisfying our voracious desire for the visual; I make a resolution to look for the books he describes and shows me how to look at with more attention.


“Under-draw” so that drawings connect better with the child. A humble resolution that we all need to make.


“Illustration rockstars.” My heart beats with anticipation. I think of the ways people can be breathtakingly creative. Also the stages of the creative life: illustrating ‘readers ‘(as in the books).


Illustrative treasures inside the everyday classroom.


Generosity in telling us how he does it. I am amazed at the exquisite timing involved.


A shiver of fear as the impact of digital technology is described. We are lucky that artists have the commitment to integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment